The Pain – Pleasure of Procrastination
If you tend to postpone most things for tomorrow, the day after, and after…welcome to the pain and pleasure procrastination club.
The philosophy behind procrastination is: It’s more satisfying to avoid the annoying task than to get on it. Illusion behind procrastination: Everything will be less uncomfortable tomorrow. Philosophy and illusion of procrastinator’s mind have their consequences in frustration. Sure, when you procrastinate, you get instant gratification, but in a long run, you are torn with guilt, self-blame and anxiety and perhaps your relationships are on negatively impacted.
Yesterday all my troubles seem so far now it looks like I’m just going to delay them for tomorrow.
Chain of procrastination:
- Oh, here is this uncomfortable activity.
- I feel ambivalent. Should I do this activity or should I avoid it?
- Whatever. I promise I will do it later, after I finish this other thing
- I will just escape into this other activity and rest my brain there (usually food, gym, druhttps://dantrep.com/wp-admin/post.php?post=18850&action=edit#gs, TV, video games, smartphones)
You move from one problem to the other, never solving the first one. You avoid deadlines until they slap you with enormous stress. Another option is giving up. You swear to Apollo you will never be in a similar position again. You are in love relationship with yourself and you always cheat.
How to deal?
Recognizing procrastination is not enough for a change, although it is essential for understanding the issue. As soon as you deconstruct steps of your specific procrastination, the recipe is simple – just do the opposite.
- Choose a specific activity you always avoid
- Identify which ideas, images, emotions and behaviors guide you through avoidance
- Note negative expectations and wrong convictions
- Do the opposite. Confront yourself with the situations you are trying to avoid.
- Start your day with morning rituals
‘’Avoid procrastination’’ is a simple tagline for all those fake procrastinations from people who are like Oh, yeah, I totally go on Grindr a few times when I am at work. I am so bad.
Dealing with procrastination does not only help you avoid a lot of negative emotions, but it is also crucial for your personal and professional growth.