I recall in my early 20’s thinking the year 2020 was afar in the future lifetime away. Turning 60 in 2020 freaks me out because I look and act decades younger — I refuse to grow up! I remember my 30’s and 40’s like they were yesterday.
It really seems like the older I get the faster time passes
Here’s my new decade list of comforting beliefs. Have you crafted yours?
- No, I don’t have to post my stuff on social media or wish you Happy Birthday because Facebook tells me to.
- No, I don’t have to dress up to go to that party.
- I don’t have to prove anything or debate my point.
- No, I don’t have to work in a traditional job even though financially that makes the most sense.
- I smile because I genuinely want to smile.
- I’m polite and respectful, not because I have to be, but because it’s the right thing to do.
- I can swear and say fuck 100 times a day around adults.
- I can responsibly smoke weed walking down the street (it’s now legal in Canada).
- I can be married and have a boyfriend on an equal footing (as long as both parties agree).
- I can choose when I want and sleep when I don’t. In fact, I don’t set an alarm most days and every day feels like Friday to me.
- I randomly have 2-hour naps in the middle of the day while everyone is at work — It’s about managing my energy to create and connect better.
- I can leave cold Toronto winters and spend two months at a beach house in Brazil.
- I’m a man who prefers to sit when I pee as this makes it easier to text.
- I achieved my number one bucket list item and bought a cool sailboat to spend most of my summer days on. (AKIYA)
- I do what I choose because I’m well-aware of the pros and cons of my intent and actions.
I do what matters to LIVE, LOVE, LEARN a proud life on my own terms and the terms of those near and dear to me.
AS LONG AS….
- I don’t harm other living things (except swatting mosquitos and spiders).
- I treat people with respect.
- I live in my financial and emotional needs.
- I honor my commitments and chuckle at my lack of commitments.
- At times I’m painfully honest but do so with lots of empathy and support.
- I pay my bills and if I love you, I will gladly help you pay yours (when I can).
- I sacrifice and suffer for those who would do the same for me.
- I assist strangers, as any good samaritan would.
- I love silent farting on elevators to get a good laugh out of my friends despite the fact my rude behavior pisses my partner off every time.
- I’ve learned to get comfortable being slightly uncomfortable, knowing that’s what drives personal growth.
- I’ve made epic mistakes that I don’t think I’ll ever get over. Those painful learnings are thankfully overshadowed by the more wise decisions I’ve made over the years.
- I rarely make the same mistake three times in a row. But rest assured I make lots!
- I know that all good and bad things do come to an end.
- Who, how, when, why and with whom I love is my business, not yours!
My definitions of Personal Success
I know I am successful and most joyful when…
- I know I am successful when I am in the presence of people who appreciate me and I appreciate them.
- I know I am most happy when I HAVE a vibrant sense of CONNECTION, CONTRIBUTION, SIGNIFICANCE, BELONGING, GROWTH, and IMPACT.
- I am at my best when I enjoy my creativity.
- I make the most impact when I share my positive energy with the community (as I define)
- I am a spiritual being having human experiences.
Basically, at close to 60 years of age, I have the luxury of doing what fits my perception of reality.
How cool and grateful for a position am I in?
I welcome the unpredictable balance of my soon to be golden years, despite the profound misguided fear that I might not age gracefully. — Dan Trepanier
What’s your 2020 story? I’d love to hear it!
Discover more Personal Growth, Significance, Contribution, Connection, and Belonging.
Be Inspired to Do What Matters to LIVE, LOVE, LEARN a ProudLife on Your Own Terms, and the terms of those near and dear to you!
Join my private mailing list at Dantrep.com
Originally published at https://dantrep.com on January 6, 2020. https://dantrep.com/the-2020-attitude-that-serves-me-well/