Standing Overhead Press
- Type: Strength
- Main Muscle Worked: Shoulders
- Other Muscles: Triceps
- Equipment: Barbell
- Mechanics Type: Compound
- Force: Push
- Grab a barbell and adopt a shoulder width, over hand grip. Lift the bar above your head so that it is directly above your shoulders. Keep your elbows locked at this point for safety. Maintain a straight back throughout this movement. This will be your starting position.
- Whilst inhaling, start to lower the bar by bending at your elbows until the bar is below your chin.
- After a brief pause, exhale and press the bar back into the starting position by contracting your deltoid muscles (shoulders).
- Repeat for the recommended amount of repetitions.
Caution:Those with back problems, may find a seated version more comfortable.
Variations:Dumbbell Shoulder Press or Smith Machine Shoulder Press.