Know- Yourself – Discover Powerful Ways That Help
How well do you know the most important person in your life? Do you know what he loves, what he wants in life, what makes his hair stand up on one end? - KNOW YOURSELF
No, I am not talking about your best friend or your partner. I am referring to you. I bet it's harder to answer all of those questions now.
The goal of this article is to provide you with some useful tips to help you get to know yourself better.
After all, you are not born knowing yourself.
Start with the Basics
Love and hate are the main emotions that shape our course in life. Understanding the emotions behind your actions is a big step forward when you want to get to know yourself. Lists are pretty old-school, but they work.
I suggest you keep a record of:
- What You Love
- What You Dislike
Create Rituals that Allow You to Get to Know Yourself
Getting to know yourself is a journey. It's not something that will happen overnight. In fact, you will always have something new to learn about yourself.
I've spent over fifty years going to school on myself - and I'm nowhere near graduating.
The truth is you are never actually done working on yourself. That is why I think it is paramount to create healthy rituals that allow you to get to know yourself.
Start the day with some soul-searching. Map out your plans for the day, and examine how the prospect of doing certain activities throughout the day makes you feel. Make this a daily habit.
Habits create rituals, and after a while, setting some time aside each morning for yourself will come naturally.
One More Thing
I see this happening all the time. We tend to define who we are as individuals based on:
- A category or a group we belong to
- Our job titles
- The role we play in our families (son, nephew, partner, and so on)
Sure, all these things have a significant influence. However, those are just parts we play during certain points in our lives.
If you reduce your identity to them, you are more likely to pretend to be something you're not just to fit into your role as the perfect brother, perfect accountant, or whatever.
You are not what other people expect of you. So you should focus your efforts towards achieving your goals - not what others want for you.
Ultimately, knowing yourself means understanding and respecting your values.
More advice on how to lead a better life.
1. What You Love
- It's not about your favorite actor or music album. We're talking big stuff here. Pay attention to what you like, things that excite you in your life.
- Many people have no idea what they love doing, and this often sends them on the wrong path in life. Try different things to see what you enjoy. You'll find new passions and meet new people who share the same hobbies.
2. What You Dislike
- Making a list of everything you genuinely despise is just as important. Be honest with yourself. There's no point in wasting your time doing things you don't enjoy and being around people who downright annoy you.
- Trying to get better at something you're not passionate about will only lead to frustrations. It helps nobody - not society, not your loved ones, and certainly not you.
Consider These Related Articles