Barbell Incline Bench Press
- Main Muscle Worked: Chest
- Other Muscles: Shoulders, Triceps
- Equipment: Barbell
- Mechanics Type: Compound
- Level: Beginner
- Force: Push
- Lay on an incline bench (between 30-45%) with a barbell in the rack above you. Take a medium grip (a grip which creates a 90 degree angle at your elbows half way through the movement) and lift the bar off the rack so that it is directly above your chest. Keep your elbows locked at this point for safety. This will be your starting position.
- Whilst inhaling, start to lower the bar by bending at your elbows until the bar gently touches the top of your chest.
- After a brief pause, exhale and press the bar back into the starting position by contracting your pectoral muscles.
- Repeat the movement for the recommended amount of repetitions.
- When you are done, place the bar back in the rack.
Caution:You should always have a spotter when attempting this movement. If a spotter is not available you should be conservative with the weight you are using.
Variations:Smith Machine Incline Bench Press or Incline Dumbbell Chest Press.